MontanaRon

An English teacher's blog about his travels and his digital art.

Month: July 2020

Digital Art-Storm King

My latest piece of digital art is entitled “The Storm King,” which I created as part of the Re-Awake effort that I wrote about in my previous post. I originally called it “Lost at Sea,” but I changed the title when I added the visage overlooking the sea. That visage is actually yours truly, from a self portrait. However, YT has very little hair on top and no beard, so I had to extract the hair from a photo I got from Pixabay, a royalty-free stock photo site.

This creation took me a while, though I’m pretty slow with these things anyway. “Storm King” has about 55 layers, which is quite a few for me and might have the most layers of all my somewhat meager collection of digital art. (Many artists have pieces with hundreds of layers!)

In this one, the clouds, my face, the small boat and part of the ocean are from my photo stash and the other bits are from Pixabay. Next, I’m going to try to get a composition incorporating some of the techniques from our Awake 3 session-painterly looks, repeated patterns, text wrapping around a circle or other shapes, and the use of brushes. I won’t try to use all the techniques, just a few. I’m not yet sure exactly what I’m going to cook up, but I hope it’s a worthy composition. More later.

The Storm King

Re-awake

Sebastian, the guru, mentor, guide, tutor (and so many other hats he wears) of the various digital art courses to which I belong, has come up with the idea that we can go back through the 25 sessions of our Awake course. It was originally a year-long venture, two sessions a month, but we’re going to re-visit the sessions at the rate of one composition per week, so we would finish in December. The purpose is to give our creativity a serious spark, and at the rate of one a week, that would be serious for my usual slow pace. I’m up for the challenge, though.

It was actually something I’ve been thinking of doing, mainly so that I could put some of the techniques I’ve learned to use. I did the first session some time ago and posted it here on the blog and on Facebook, but I’ll post it again here. One of the techniques in that first session is to use an open-ended frame so that some of the elements of the composition appear to be spilling out of the frame. I titled my creation “Breaking Out.” I’ve got an idea for the second week, so I’d better get busy on that. One a week . . . whew!

Buddhist temple wall mural

Breaking Out

Nothing New

There’s not too much going on over here. Our lockdown ended, more or less, back on June 2nd and school started up again on June 9th, with the term finishing on Aug. 14th. We’re in that rainy season time of year again, and though we have received some nice rain lately, the Mekong is still quite low for this time of year. More significantly, the long term weather reports have predicted another dryer-than-normal season, more drought later on.

I’ve been working on a few digital art projects that keep me busy, along with the various courses I’m taking. The one below hasn’t been finished yet, but I’ll give you a sneak peek at “Lost at Sea.” That’s it for now, more later.

© 2020 MontanaRon

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑